Etymology of Lez-Eaux
Why is it called Lez-Eaux ?
In old French LEZ means close to
So Lez-Eaux means close to the water, by the water.
A family Story:
The original property dates from the late fifteenth century. The construction of the castle started a little bit before the French Revolution and there are still some structures left. The property is actually a central building within the campsite.
The fishing pond is a natural one which was reassembled in 1850.
In 1865, the De la Varde family became the owner of the domain, when Monsieur Poitiers de la Varde who was the great grandfather of Sir Nicolas de la Varde (the current co-manager of the campsite) inherited the castle.
He had the roof, the partitions, and the floor redone. In addition to that, the moats at the back of the castle had been filled.
In 1960, Monsieur Michel de la Varde opened the domain to the campers and joined the Castel’s chain. The site opened as a 4 stars campsite with toilets and traditional pitches.
The campsite of Lez-Eaux had been one of the first to join the chain Castels in 1960.
In 1977, Nicolas de la Varde and his wife Brigitte took over the campsite. They elaborated new projects such as mobiles-homes (1977), the outdoor pool (1979), chalets and the indoor pool had been built step by step.
In 2009, the direction decided to build the pool within the indoor water park and to refurbish the bar.
The treehouses known as Dam’oiseaux (2009) and Butterfly (2011) are built in the old oak trees of the campsite.
In 2011, the campsite got the 5 stars certification. In 2012, Cécile who is Nicolas & Brigitte’s daughter is the third generation of the family to take over the castle and the domain.